Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mod Pop QAL - Finish!

This quilt was a labor of love from start to finish. I initially started this quilt as a pattern tester for Julie but it was also the first quilt top I made after our move to Maui. I had signed on to test the pattern before I had really processed that I would be moving 6000 miles away from my family and friends; I think part of me signed on because I knew it would be a commitment I would see through and it would be something to keep me busy. But once I finished the top, it went into the closet not to be seen again for a long time.

Some of you may remember the tough time I had last summer and some of you even spoke with me personally about your own personal moves and the difficulties that go with it when you're adjusting to new surroundings, new cultures, etc. etc. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to finish this, but the colors channeled the sun and water for me.


Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I'm well adjusted now and just slacking off, so I decided to dust it off and get it finished. When I was basting and quilting this quilt I was trying to decide what I should do with it, should I sell it? Save it for a baby gift? Then... it hit me.


The reason my boyfriend and I were able to pick up and live this adventure is because initially of an opportunity presented to us by my dad. 

Steve and I decided that as we start to close our year on Maui and decide what we want to do next (whether it be move back to NJ, stay in Maui for longer, etc. etc) we wanted to make sure my dad knew just how much we appreciated the "once in a lifetime" opportunity he presented us with. He trusted us individually and as a couple to not only survive and thrive in this situation. Whatever comes next, we're never forget the love and support we received from him on this adventure...


So, we sent some Maui sun and sea to him to wrap in aloha during the cold winter they're experiencing on the east coast. Whatever happens after this year, he will have this blanket and whenever he wraps himself up in it, he will know how much Steve and I love him and appreciate him for everything he does. 

After all, isnt that what quilts are for?

16 comments:

  1. Gorgeous quilt and a lovely place for it to end up. It's so nice when you think of the perfect person to give something to at the last moment

    ReplyDelete
  2. *lump in throat* beautiful post Jennifer - your quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really beautiful story, and a great way to show your appreciation for your dad, and the wonderful thing he did for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful quilt and beautiful story -- thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant - your dad will be sending you off to more places now with an ulterior motive!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This a fabulous quilt and a wonderful gift to show your dad how much you love and appreciate him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finish! And what a great idea for the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely story and such a gorgeous quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt, and lovely story. Yes, that's what quilts are for.

    P.S. Did you know that you're the winner from the mod pop link-up??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, great way to say thank you to him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilt! Great gift for your dad, for sure. I know the feeling of moving and not being able to settle in, too. In the middle of moving back to where we started from after less than six months and thankful for it.

    Some opportunities are great in one department but not in another. It happens. Glad you're well adjusted now. Good luck with whatever's next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are nice, tropical colors. :) It's beautiful and it looks like your dad is enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like it found the perfect recipient! Love the colours :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt and the sentiment is just precious. So glad you found the perfect recipient. And yes! That's what it's all about!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you selected the perfect recipient for your mod pop quilt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww...I LOVE that you gave it to him. What a wonderful way to say thank you! He looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...