Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Honey, it's Finished

Well, I just remembered that I never shared my finished Honey Honey baby quilt with all of you! I received word yesterday that it was delivered safely and not a moment too soon as the Christening is this weekend!


I used 2 different prints from Honey Honey for each of the stars and used

I struggled with how to quilt this quilt because of the negative white spaces and many of you jumped to help with awesome ideas! I wish I had more time to quilt this! 


I ended up with double straight diagonal lines, simple and crisp
I bound it with some ombre simply color in pink to pick up the various shades of pink in the line.


Overall, I was very pleased with how this came out
and the customer was happy too which makes it even better!

all materials for the quilt are available in my shop

I find that i'm usually super unsure and hesitant when it comes to commission quilts, even more so when they say "whatever you want" as this one did. I know i'm a decent quilter, but when i'm making for other people I like to make sure their vision comes through for the gift and not just mine.. Anyone else have this problem? How do you get around it!?

14 comments:

  1. It's great Jennifer! And sometimes you just have to get 'er done, but the minimal quilting is really nice on this. I like how it forms a diamond shape in the white space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely quilt Jennifer - I find commission quilts really tough and even more so the closer I am to the intended recipients! Some say you should make want they would like, others say you should make what you like. I can't help you but you're doing a great job anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous finish Jen! I freak out when making commissions and usually send them lots of progress pics to make sure they're happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely - if someone asks you, then they must love your style, so I say go with your instinct!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks gorgeous, I love the diagonal quilting. I've only made one set of cushions for a commission (sort of a favour too, I didn't charge much more than materials) and I must admit that I found it really difficult to mesh what they wanted with what I wanted to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Minimal quilting means this will be nice and soft for the baby to use. :) I think you did a fantastic job navigating the "whatever you want". That can be really tough to interpret, but I think you really made a quilt that's gorgeous and also pretty universally appealing. This collection was a perfect choice as I think it would appeal to both traditionalists as well as those with a more modern aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate that 'whatever you want' phrase! Depending on who it is, and if they've expressed particular interest in something of mine before, I might do some digging, or let previous interest steer me, but sometimes I really do just do what I like, because I figure they must like what I usually do when I do what I like, otherwise they wouldn't have asked me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite fabric lines...your quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's a great finish and you can't go wrong with a star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! And I also hate Whatever You Want in any aspect of life except for when it's me saying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never done a commissioned quilt but I have done bags and purses before and they always scare me when they give me free reign with fabric choices, etc. Yours turned out beautiful so I'm sure they love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet. I haven't done commissioned quilts either - admire those of you who do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty!! Can't go wrong with Honey Honey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lucky baby! Your quilt turned out beautifully, Jennifer. I really like the simple quilting you did and the way it echoes the overall pattern. Glad to hear everyone was happy! I can relate to your struggle about having free reign to decide on what direction to take for a commissioned quilt. It's really really hard to know what someone's preferences are and having the freedom to make your own choices takes courage. Every time i set out to design a line of fabric, i have to dive through a wave of uncertainty before i finally resolve to trusting my gut. It changes every time, but is always a learning process no matter what. Keep up the great work and try to trust yourself a little more each time someone lets you fly (advice i'm taking myself too)! xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...