Thursday, November 1, 2012

Helpless

For those of you that are tired of hearing/seeing Hurrican Sandy's devastation, just stop here. I'm taking a second to speak personally because this is something that is affecting my family and friends. I'm finding myself struggling this week and feeling more and more helpless being so far away.

THANK YOU for all of your prayers and well wishes. My family and friends are safe. They are without power and likely will be until November 9-10th but they are part of the lucky ones. As the week continues, more people are finding out about their homes. A lot of these homes are summer ones that have been passed down and remained in their family for generations. Even more, these were their homes.


This is one of the more iconic shots. The Seaside boardwalk roller coaster now sits IN the Atlantic Ocean.

I apologize in advance for the somber post, I needed to talk it out and just try and express what I'm feeling to help me understand and deal with it. Being 6,000 miles away doesn't make it any less real or any less emotional, which I never thought about... then again, i've never been through something to this magnitude.



The New Jersey coastline has been reshaped forever.








With so many people being without power, the gas lines are 2-3 hours long
and most are only giving a 5 gallon limit.


Most of the bridges to the barrier island communities were destroyed.


I know its hard to relate unless you personally have been through a similar experience (and i sincerely hope you haven't) but I need to bring awareness and ask for your prayers and positive thoughts. Everyday I wake up to a new call or text from family friends that have found out about their home, yesterday, it was a college friend, her older brother who was married last month, lost the bottom half of their house. Two people just starting their lives together, so excited to have their first place..and to have to experience this.

So, I have some scheduled posts, but if i'm a bit quiet its because i'm trying to internalize and be there for my family and friends without actually being there...


UPDATED- After getting some emails and talking to some people, unfortunately, I do not have a guild presence in Hawaii to ask for help, so i'm asking you. I set up a flickr group and am asking for volunteers to make 1, 2, 3, however many blocks you can manage for me to make quilts that I can hand deliver in December. I'm starting with one and we'll go from there.  It's a super simple block and wont take much of your time. if you can't make blocks i'm taking monetary donations for the batting and backing purchases, any and all extras will be send to the Red Cross. Please consider helping out!!

22 comments:

  1. So sorry Jennifer. I'm sure thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs, Jennifer. You, your family, your friends, and everyone else affected by the storm are in my prayers. I remember feeling how you are probably feeling when Hurricane Issac practically destroyed Galveston, TX. It was hard to relate those feelings to people that just didn't get it. Perhaps we can do something for those affected...like donate some quilts. I'd be more than happy to help organize something and get the word out. Let me know when you're ready to think about something like that. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Jennifer. You and your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers. Lots of hugs Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I am glad you family is all ok. I am heart broken for my home, our home. My family is lucky we are all fine. We are lucky. The devastation is horrible. I have never seen something like this before and hope I never do again. I am between Seaside and LBI and although my town was hit hard, it is nothing like just north and south of me. Family and friends have lost their homes, but we are all ok and that is what matters. I have also started sewing. It isn't much for what they lost, but it shows we care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer. This has got to be really tough. I'm happy to help, so I've signed up for some blocks. I stole a pic from your post for mine, and posted on AQT's fb page...bless you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel. We have family and friends THERE and I am HERE. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so so sad, not having electricity for a few days it is okay but since it is getting chili it is no fun. I lived in Long Island, and know Atlantic City and the Jersey shore well, wonderful memories.
    Trying to get gas I can't blame people for being frustrated.

    God Bless all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jennifer, that is all so sad and devastating. Your friends and family, and all the people affected are in our hearts. You are so good to organize the quilt making, I'm aboard. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so heartbreaking to see all the devastation. Count me in Jennifer. I just signed up on the group for some blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've signed up for a few blocks and would be willing to help with batting/backing but don't know how to donate (I live in Norway and we don't use checks). Could I order some batting and backing fabric from fabric.com and have shipped to you (if you still need it)?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've signed up for a few blocks Jennifer. I live in the UK so will get them made up over the weekend and send them to you as soon as you let me have your address. Hugs Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jenn,

    I signed up for a few blocks. I'll keep your loved ones in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jennifer - I haven't been able to find a shipping address - and as I'm doing a trip to the post office this evening, it would be great to be able to send my blocks off with the rest of parcels and letters ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every one of these photos breaks my heart just a little bit more. Please let me know how I can make a monetary contribution --- I can send you a check or do it via PayPal, whatever is easier for you. (I know I can send a donation faster than I can make blocks!) Praying for everyone who has been impacted by this terrible storm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm afraid I was living in Oregon when Hurricane Katrina where my parents, brother and SIL lived in New Orleans. I know a bit of what you're going through. So difficult. If you want to write, feel free. Try not to let it consume you. I think the helpless feeling is the worst. It sounds crazy, but one of the most helpful things you can do is just to listen to them tell their stories and be a shoulder to lean on, even many thousands of miles away. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you, Jennifer. I, too, started making quilt blocks, and have people sending quilt blocks from around the world to get some quilts to some of the people in NY and NJ. My husband and I are both from there, though we now live in Virginia. I will send some blocks for your project, too; lord knows I'll be tired of making my blocks by then. :) Here's my question, though. I'm not sure with whom I should be coordinating my effort once my quilts are done. How will you be distributing YOUR quilts? Are you working with a particular organization or agency? I have family up there, but they aren't really sure. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Best of luck with your project. I will try to divert some of my traffic to you - anyone who is willing to make 2 or 4 blocks for me will probably also make 2 or 4 blocks for you! To read about my project: http://vesuviusmama.blogspot.com/2012/11/taking-action-wanna-help.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, I'd been under a bit of a rock, I guess. I'd heard people were without power and that my family members in Boston were ok, but this is the first I'm seeing of pictures like this. I tend to want to hide my eyes and not think about it... but I'd like to help. I'll be sending some blocks, for sure. Heading over to the flickr group now. Sending happy thoughts to you and your family and anyone else who needs some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wouldn't ever want to go through something like that. My heart goes out to all the families effected. Where I'm at in MA all we got was wind & rain but some of the towns east of us were a little worst. I signed up to make a couple of blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Jennifer, I stumbled on your blog while browsing my favorite quilt blogs. My heart aches for you all; the new millenium has not been kind to the USA. We've had floods and fire here in Australia in recent years too, but every disaster in any country is the worst for those who experience it. I made a quilt top for the lady who organised quilts for the victims of the wildfires in Utah, and I would be happy to make one for you too. I would do more, but the cost of posting them over the Pacific is huge, as you would understand, so if many more send you just one, they all add up.
    Keep in touch, I'll need your shipping address.
    {{{hugs}}}}

    Gina in Melbourne, Australian

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean. My parents live in NJ and we live in OK. It's really hard being away. I was away when my dad was in the WTC too on 9/11. He made it out but I still have a hard time dealing with that some days. I didn't see him until Christmas that time. Once again I won't see them until Christmas. It was hard being out of contact with them until their power was restored, so I can TOTALLY relate. I have cousins who still don't have power, and a friend of my dad's was killed. He was a volunteer firefighter. :*(

    My guild is making a block to raffle off to raise money for the Red Cross. I will try to squeeze in a few of these blocks too. :) Way to try to bring some positive light to a negative situation!!!

    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi J. My NJ and PA families are in the process of healing. Thank goodness they're all healthy and have their homes, but they are going through a HUGE re-adjustment. It's hard being so far from home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like you I am 6k miles away with family on the Jersey Shore and PA. All are safe, but I wish I could be there to help. I made some blocks to send to you and will get them off in the post as soon as I get your address, and will post pics on the flickr site as soon as my camera battery is charged!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...