Friday, November 4, 2011

Trying something new..

I decided to switch it up this Friday even though I have been doing some sewing (YAY!)
I tried a new recipe this week for Chicken Enchilada's -- they were AMAZING.
I initially got the idea from The Busy Budgeting Mama who has the most amazing ideas and cutest kids!
It's definitely a go-to blog for me when I need a good laugh or fresh idea.

Anyway, I digress.
The interesting part of these enchiladas is that they use this new cooking creme from Philadelphia (not the place, the cream cheese makers)
The recipe is on the side of the label!
But for the rest of you, here goes. (I had the best intentions of taking pictures as I went..didn't turn out so well when I was trying to feed 2 hungry men)
Recipe: (4 servings) 
- 3 c. shredded chicken (I used 4, the tortillas were just more full)
- 1 small chopped onion
- chopped tomato (canned is fine too) - (I used about 3 small - golf ball sized ones, but next time I will probably even add more)
- 1 package of Sante Fe cooking creme
- 1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (I bought a rectangle block from the store and we ended up using almost all of it - but we like things with more cheese)
- 8 tortilla shells (I used 4)

Chicken Mixture:
Take a pan, heat it up with some olive oil
add some of your onions (I did about 3/4 of the onion) 
cook for a few minutes. 
Add the chicken, tomatoes, rest of the onion and 3/4 container of Sante Fe cooking creme.

Sauce:
This will be what you pour on the top
In separate pan, I put the remaining Sante Fe cooking creme
 2 big handfuls of Monterey Cheese 
and a quick pour of the heavy cream 
(we want this to melt and be creamy, so however much heavy cream it takes for you)

Now, set oven to 350 degrees, 
grease your pan that the tortillas will go in, 
I recommend a larger pan and more tortillas 
(I did a small pan with 4 tortillas and it was fine, but we had too much sauce for the small surface area) - Anyway, scoop out some of the chicken mixture, 
put it in a tortilla and roll the tortilla placing the seam side down in the dish. 
Continue until you fill your pan. 
Pour the sauce on the top, and sprinkle some more Monterey cheese on top. 
Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes. 

Remove and enjoy! My family recommended putting salsa on the top when all was said and done because this recipe is NOT spicy, so if you're looking for that you'll need to alter it.


5 comments:

  1. yay so glad you tried out the recipe! and thanks for the message of letting me know! made my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, Jennifer! We love enchiladas around here. You should link this to Debbie's "Tuesdays at the Table" at A Quilter's Table this coming Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy! I will have to try that. I am a new follower from Happy Hour Projects. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. I haven't heard of anyone using that new Philly product, so this is good to hear. And....I agree with Toni! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...